Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover.
If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you didn't intentionally install, if your browser crashes, or if you browser start page has changed without your knowing, you most probably have spyware. But even if you don't see anything, you may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging that is silently tracking your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile of you that will be sold to advertisement companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm in trying to see if something snooped into your computer, too :)
If SpyBot-S&D finds such modules, it can remove them - or replace them with empty dummies in case their host software won't run with its bot removed. In most cases, the host still runs fine after removing the bot.
For a list of 'supported' bots see the feature lists below. The Spybot-S&D interface is so easy, that updates just require replacing a file of about 80k in size. Those updates are distributed by my software mailinglist, at the authors page and are also available from inside the programs update section.
Another feature of Spybot S&D is the removal of usage tracks, which makes it more complicated for unknown spybots to transmit useful data. The list of last visited websites, opened files, started programs, cookies, all that and more can be cleaned. Supported are the three major browsers Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator and Opera.
What's New in Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.2 :
· Live Protection is now enabled by default
· Performance improvements for Live Protection
· Live Protection scans can be cancelled
· Improved compatibility with third-party products
· Explorer Context Menu Extension for files and folders
What's New in Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6 Final :
• Improved Scan Speed
· Spybot-S&D 1.6 integrates parts of the future 2.0 file scanning engine to speed up the on-demand scan.
• Up-to-date browser support
· Both immunization and the on-demand scan are able to access a dozen different browsers, which now includes the latest revisions of the most popular ones, Firefox and Opera.
• Easier On-Access Use
· Until now, our on-access part was able to block bad entries, but at the same time, confused many novice users by asking for confirmation on changes of other monitored system entries as well. While this is a great feature for all experienced users who want full control over their systems, we decided that we need to make this easier for the average user, and integrated automated decisions based on the system entry database built through our RunAlyzer, containing more than quarter of a million decisions.
· Safer Networking also announces OpenSBI, our attempt at opening up the fight against malware to anyone who wants to participate. OpenSBI means we've published documenation and tools that anyone can use to create their own malware detection patterns for use with Spybot-S&D, and share those with other Spybot-S&D users.
Just installed new beta version on a testsystem. It looks really nice and offers a lot of new functions e.g. rootkit scan. Good to know that Spybot is back
- Rating: 5
- Posted by: Elisabeth
- Date: 13 May 2011
This piece of crap did noting apart from mess up my restore points and take over Firefox..I have tried all prescribed methods to get it out and it wont shift it has embedded itself into firefox big time and give me grief..When I ran it it didnt even find the issue...
I wish I had avoided it, I have found hundreds of pages with people saying the same thing..Stupid me should have looked before leaping
This is what I was concerned about. All the negetive things people posted. NO, I will not download this crap. It use to be good back in the day. Not now.
- Rating: 1
- Posted by: Matthew
- Date: 30 Jun 2010
I downloaded version 1.6.2. Find it really great. Only problem is it always crashes after running the update. Needs a return to main menu option after download is completed.
What the Fu@k this is not a free down load it scans your computer and says that there is problems and when you try to delete them it asks you to register and pay money for the other half of the version
- Rating: 5
- Posted by: Truth 101
- Date: 19 May 2009